Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Go Blind

So the past few days have been a trial... My fever spiked at 103.4, but it is now under control. I missed 2 days of classes, so I have to make up an Organic exam tomorrow morning, and a bio lab the morning after that. Finished reading Time, Love, and Memory by Jonathan Wiener yesterday, and read Now and Forever by Ray Bradbury today. I got Now and Forever because it is a collection of two novellas, Somewhere a Band is Playing, and Leviathan '99... and Leviathan '99 was initially supposed to be a play, which intrigued me. It is based on the story of Moby Dick, but instead of a whaling ship chasing a great White Whale, it tells the tale of a rocket ship and it's crew, and a crazed captain chasing a great white comet through space. I was disappointed by Leviathan '99... not impressive in my opinion. unfinished, unpolished, prematurely published. Somewhere a  Band is Playing, on the other hand, was excellent. Bradbury has a rare talent in making the mundane mystical. Strange urgings to play golf... something I haven't done in years and years. Beach music running through my head all weekend: Build Me Up Buttercup, Walking Up a One Way Street, and With This Ring... That, and Crazy by Gnarls Barkley. Starting a new book... Japanese Death Poems... but first I have to study Organic, and complete other necessary homeworks and studyings.

ta

No comments:

Post a Comment